Sentences Selected from the News
新聞英語語句解析 (1) (2)」己於2004年八月出版，感謝網友熱烈購買
1. Japan and the United States on Friday agreed to boost cooperation(加強合作) in their missile defense programs — an important first step in carrying out new defense guidelines that ease Tokyo's strict postwar pacifism.
2. The Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan(布丹) banned smoking in public and tobacco sales on Friday, the first country in the world to do so. Bhutan's trade and industry ministry issued a notice giving shops, hotels, restaurants and bars until Dec. 17 to dispose(處理) of tobacco stocks(庫存).
3. A baby girl who had been cut out of her mother's womb was found after a frantic search(大力搜尋), and authorities arrested the woman(who,) they say(,) strangled the mother and stole the child. The baby was in good condition Saturday.
4. Protected by U.S. Black Hawk helicopters, Britain's Tony Blair flew into Iraq on Tuesday in a surprise show of political bravado(政治上的虛張聲勢)designed to boost prospects for Iraqi elections and cheer UK troops before Christmas.
5. Thailand charged on Wednesday that ringleaders of a Muslim separatist insurgency were hiding in neighboring Malaysia, as continuing violence in the country's south claimed the life of another police officer.
6. Vietnam on Tuesday reported bird flu outbreaks in poultry farms(養鷄場) in the southern Mekong Delta(湄公河三角洲), as the epidemic that killed 32 people in Asia earlier this year made a reappearance.
7. UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has confirmed that an international summit on the Middle East will take place in London next year. He announced the move after holding talks with his Israeli counterpart, Ariel Sharon, in Jerusalem.
8. Parents of university students whose chemistry courses are to be cut are pressing ahead with their threat of legal action. Following a vote of its governing body on Monday, Exeter University(英國艾塞特大學) is closing its chemistry department(化學系) in an effort to cut its £4.5m deficit(赤字).
9. Two French journalists freed after a 4-month hostage ordeal in Iraq returned home to a heroes' welcome(英雄式歡迎) on Wednesday as a relieved government basked(享受) in national joy(舉國歡騰) at their release.
10. U.S. forces sealed off(封鎖) entire districts of the Iraqi city of Mosul on Wednesday, blocking bridges and raiding homes(臨檢民房) in a hunt for suspects(搜捕嫌犯) after an attack that killed 18 Americans and four Iraqis.