Sentences Selected from the News
新聞英語語句解析 (1) (2)」己於2004年八月出版，感謝網友熱烈購買
1. Police say making forced marriages illegal would send a clear ◆message that this is not acceptable in the UK.
2. Some people say they do not want to live any more and they panic(恐慌) that it (the tsunami) is coming back and that when they wake up they get flash backs.
3. Experts in America say women often do not make retirement planning a priority. They think more about staying younger than getting older.
4. Yielding to pressure from President Bush, the European Union has put off plans to lift its arms embargo(解除武噐禁運) on China this spring.
5. More than 2,400 people have been diagnosed with dengue fever(登格熱) in Singapore so far this year, almost four times the 624 cases reported in the same period last year, according to the government.
6. North Korean Premier Pak Pong-ju's comments, reported by Chinese state TV during a visit to Beijing, were the most conciliatory(懐柔的) from North Korea in recent weeks but came just a day after Pyongyang said it had boosted its nuclear arsenal.
7. A local commander warned on Tuesday that a "major crisis" could be brewing in a restive (不安定的)Pakistani town where thousands of armed tribesmen have surrounded a military base following clashes last week that reportedly left dozens killed.
8. Pakistan will on Tuesday hand over 533 prisoners to India after they were released from Pakistani jails. The prisoners were freed from jails in the southern city of Karachi on Sunday. They had been held between four months to one year for alleged illegal entry into Pakistan.
9. Philippine security forces said on Tuesday they arrested an Indonesian suspected of being a bomb expert for militants who trained local Muslim rebels for a deadly attack in Manila last month.
10. A severe water shortage in Beijing has prompted the city to again hike prices(漲價), possibly by up to 20 percent. A top water official said, "Water is a strategic and precious resource, so water prices will continue to rise, we feel that a price of 6.0 yuan (6.0圓=US$0.72) per cubic meter is a rational price(合理價格)."
11. "The Korean side does not oppose the six-party talks, nor has it given up on the talks(倒裝句). If conditions are mature(如時機成熟), the North Korean side is prepared to join the six-party talks at any time," Chinese TV quoted him as saying.
12. The global war against tuberculosis(TB肺病) is being successfully fought, but not in Africa and Europe, warn experts. While most areas of the world have seen a 20% drop in TB since 1990, rates in Africa have tripled, a World Health Organization(WHO) report reveals.
13. Officials in Beijing have warned that a third of China's rural population - an estimated 360m people - lack access to safe drinking water(安全飲水). They also said that more than 70% of China's rivers and lakes were polluted(遭到汚染).
14. For the large Chinese community living in the US, China's emerging(崛起) economic and political power is a source of pride and strength. China is evolving(發展) at such a rapid pace. When they say something people listen, which engenders(產生) a significant level of pride in being Chinese.
15. Spending extra hours working out in the gym can be a waste of time according to new research. A University of Glamorgan study found the amount of time spent at the gym could be cut by up to two thirds with the same level of fitness achieved.
16. Fourteen people died and more than 70 others were injured in an explosion that ripped through a BP (=British Petroleum英國石油公司) oil refinery(煉油廠) in southeastern Texas on Wednesday. The fire sent huge plumes of smoke high into the air shortly after the early afternoon blast. The fire has since been extinguished.