Sentences Selected from the News
新聞英語語句解析 (1) (2)」己於2004年八月出版，感謝網友熱烈購買
1. Among the dead(the + adj= n) was the driver of the bus, which was traveling from northern Kurigram town to Dhaka(達卡). Several of the injured(the + past participle = N) were taken to hospital.
2. Three Romanian journalistskidnapped in Iraq were free on Sunday after two months in captivity, one of only few bits of good news since insurgents launched an upsurge(突然增加) in deadly attacks last month.
3. Chinese President Hu Jintao(胡錦濤) warned Japanese lawmakersvisiting Beijing on Sunday that Japan’s leaders must end visits to a war shrine(指靖國神社) in Tokyo which are endangering ties.
4. Eight teenage girls(少女) swimming off South Africa’s east coast were pulled out to sea by a strong tide on Sunday and drowned before lifeguards could reach them, official said.
5. North Korea cargo ships on Sunday arrived in South Korea for the first time in two decades to pick up fertilizer aid(援助肥料) and take it back to the impoverished(窮困的) communist state, official said.
6. A monk who drank poison minutes after becoming Sri Lanka’s first Buddhist clergyman to be convicted of grave sexual abuse(性侵) of a 16-year-old girl in 2001 died at a hospital on Tuesday, official said.
7. A recent survey has revealed that nearly half of China’s population cannot speak the official dialect(官話), mandarin. Mandarin(國語)—known as putonghua(普通話) in China—is just one of the hundreds of dialects(方言) in the Chinese language.
8. The U.S. Embassy on Monday denied a newspaper ◆report that the United States had banned 89 Nicaraguan politicians from entering the United states. “We have never seen that list, nor do we know(倒裝句) where it came from,” said Embassy spokeswoman.
9. The opposition-dominated Legislature yesterday voted against the Cabinet's attempt to overturn a law(翻案)imposing strict criteria on the passing of amendments to the Constitution.
10. Talks on Wednesday with the European Union about Iran's nuclear programme(英國拼法) have only a 50-50 chance(一半機會) of success, a leading Iranian negotiator has warned. Speaking after preparatory talks(預備會談) in Brussels, Hossein Mousavian said there were no guarantees of avoiding a breakdown in negotiations.
11. The number of foreign students in China rose 42 percent last year to 110,884, local media said Sunday. The surge(蜂擁而來的學生) marked the biggest single year increase in student arrivals in ten years. The figures(數字) did not include students from Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macao.
12. Poverty, war, open borders and domestic violence are promoting increasing numbers of people from eastern Europe and beyond(另外國家) to seek work in the wealthy West.
13. It could infect 20 percent of the world's population, kill many millions and create an economic crisis but scientists say not enough is being done to combat a bird flu virus that could trigger a global pandemic.
14. Runaway bride(落跑新娘) Jennifer Wilbanks was indicted Wednesday on ◆charges that she lied to police about being kidnapped, two counts that could mean up to six years in prison.
15. Moira Greenslade, the woman jailed for trying to sell her baby through the internet(名詞片語，作Moira Greenslade 的同位語), treated an innocent child as "a commodity", police have said. Greenslade, 33, took money from two couples (that) she contacted through a surrogacy website(代孕網站), and made a deal with a third.