Sentences Selected from the News
新聞英語語句解析 (1) (2)」己於2004年八月出版，感謝網友熱烈購買
1. Not only is the West beginning to appreciate oriental looks(東方臉孔倒裝句) but Asian women are also increasingly able to parade(炫耀) their beauty to a more welcome Asian audience.
2. Coast guard(海岸防衛隊) men abroad two helicopters on Sunday rescued a Chinese cook who fell seriously ill and required immediate evacuation from a research ship returning to China from a Pacific Ocean journey.
3. They are here today because they are concerned about recent events that have taken place and which entailed(牽涉到) the killing of innocent people.
4. President George W. Bush and other U.S. officials have repeatedly said they have no intention of attacking North Korea. Washington officials estimate North Korea has about a half-dozen nuclear bombs.
5. In April sometimes violent protests erupted in China, which accuses Japan of not atoning(贖罪) for its past after Tokyo approved a history textbook written by self-described nationalists who believe Japan is too apologetic about its wartime record.
6. There was no word from US officials on whether any progress was made in persuading Pyongyang to return to multilateral talks.( 名詞子句，作on的受詞) But in Tokyo, Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said he believed North Korea wanted an end to the standoff(僵局).
7. A suspicious package sent to the Indonesian embassy in Canberra on Tuesday that shut down(關閉) the mission for the second time in a week has been found to be harmless, Australian police said.
8. At least 11 Ethiopians(衣索匹亞人) have been shot dead as police clashed with protesters accusing the ruling party of fraud in last month's elections. Hundreds of students have been arrested this week for defying(公然反抗) a protest ban.
9. The Organization of American States (OAS美洲國家組織) has refused to adopt a US proposal to monitor(監督) democracy in Latin America, at the end of its summit. Instead, the final statement re-affirmed the principles of non-intervention(不得干預) and self-determination (自主)already accepted by the OAS. Several countries in South America saw the US plan as potentially intrusive(有意干涉的).
10. Maverick(獨斷獨行的) independent lawmaker(無黨籍立委) Lee Ao(李敖) charged President Chen Shui-bian yesterday with wounding his Vice President Annette Lu on March 19 last year to win sympathy votes(同情票). The TV talk show host-turned legislator(原電視談話性節目主持人的立委) told a press conference a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (中央情報局)source gave him a secret report pointing to the president as the culprit(犯罪者).