Sentences Selected from the News
新聞英語語句解析 (1) (2)」己於2004年八月出版，感謝網友熱烈購買
1. "We have deployed the army to help peoplestranded(受困的) and to evacuate thoseliving in the low-lying areas," a government spokesman said. "We have already evacuated around 10,000 people."
2. U.S. Assistant Secretary of State(助理國務卿) Christopher Hill and North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan met for two hours but no details on what they discussed were immediately available, the U.S. Embassy said.
3. British Transport Police(交通警察) are on high alert(高度警戒), but they say it is not in response to specific information. Pictures of wrecked trains and bombs found after the 7 July attack, in which 56 died, have been obtained.
4. A police officer involved in the fatal shooting of an innocent Brazilian man at a London Tube station(地鐵車站) has been given a holiday paid for by Scotland Yard(蘇格蘭場). Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair personally authorized the break for the officer and his family.
5. The number of confirmed deaths in Wednesday's oil platform fire off the western coast of India has risen to 10. However, the navy says more than 350 workers have been rescued. Some people are still reported trapped or missing.
6. Although no one has suggested that the investigation into who leaked Plame’s name has been shelved(擱置), the identity of the inquiry into possible perjury charges has increased.
7. The United Nations says it is seeking highly trained troops to operate in slum districts of Haiti. It wants specialist forces who can ensure minimum civilian casualties while performing delicate operations, such as arresting gang leaders.
8. China has picked its first group of women to be trained as astronauts, according to the state news agency Xinhua(新華社). The 35 women, aged between 17 and 20, will first train as pilots at the Chinese military's Aviation University(軍方航空大學).
9. A toothless man has been arrested for stealing toothbrushes. When he was approached by the police he tried to deny the stealing even showing the officers his toothless mouth. He finally admitted to the stealing, he said: "I don't know why I did it.
10. A Thai woman cut off(割斷) her husband's penis(生殖器) after he asked her to make love one more time before he left her for another woman(去找另一個女人). Saithong Wantha, 53, then asked neighbors to take Udom Phorit, 35, to hospital while she turned herself in to police(向警方自首).