Sentences Selected from the News
1. The Mandala Airlines Boeing 737 was heading to Jakarta when it crashed one minute after takeoff and burst into flames. Officials said the dead included the governor of North Sumatra province, who was heading to the capital for a meeting with the president.
2. Investigators are hunting for clues(尋找線索) into Monday's plane crash in Indonesia which killed at least 147 people, among them 47 who were on the ground. The Mandala Airlines Boeing 737-200 crashed shortly after taking off from Medan. At least 14 passengers survived. Its president, who visited the crash site on the island of Sumatra, ordered an inquiry.
3. "The fact that the foreign workers were deprived() and were being hurt(名詞子句，作fact 的同位語) had dealt a severe blow(予以重大打擊) to my human rights values, and it gave me pain and unease(不安)," Chairwoman Chen Chu(陳菊)of the Council of Labor Affairs(勞委會) said. "I don't just blame myself but want to take responsibility for it."
4. Engineers have begun pumping water from New Orleans after repairing a key breach(堤防缺口) in the city's floodwalls(堤防), eight days after Hurricane Katrina(卡崔娜颶風) struck. Rescue teams still hunt for survivors, amid fears the heat and lack of clean water mean time is running out(結束).
5. Police in Tokyo are searching 11 hospitals which have received bomb threats. A lettersent to each of the institutions warned they would be bombed within 45 days.
6. At least 72 people have died in eastern China because of flooding and landslides triggered(引發) by Typhoon Talim. About 52 were killed in Anhui province(安徵省), Xinhua news agency reported. It also said 15 died in the city of Wenzhou and five in Jiangxi province.
7. Conservationists estimate that Yor Ngun has killed at least 19 tigers, as well as 40 leopards, 30 elephants, 43 bears and more than 500 wild oxen. The 57-year-old is thought to have been trapping animals in Cambodia's jungles(柬埔寨森林) since the 1970s.
8. A Chinese schoolgirl has invented a pair of shoes that enable her to walk on water. Wang Wenting, from Chengdu(成都), says she got her inspiration(靈感) from watching ducks. The high school girl took nearly four years, experimenting with different materials, to come up with(想出) the design.
9. It (it是虛主詞，代替後面實主詞的名詞子句) is understandable that some travelers, particularly from Chinese cultures, may have some concerns about traveling to destinations where many lives have been lost.
10. Seven Germans have broken the world shower record(世界淋浴記錄) after standing under running water(自來水) for more than four days. The five men and two women, aged between 17 and 25, from Hoevelhof, showered for over 101 hours to break the 100 hour record set in 2000 by a group of Berliners(柏林人).