Sentences Selected from the News
1. An anti-submarine S70C helicopter(S70C型反潛直昇機) of Taiwan Navy crashed into the sea(墜海) about 30 nautical miles(海浬) off the Tsoying(左營) naval base in Kaohsiung last (yesterday)evening.
2. U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld(倫斯斐) also became the first foreigner to visit the headquarters of the Second Artillery(二砲總部), which has commanded China's strategic nuclear missile force(戰略核彈部隊) since 1966.
3. European Union experts held crisis talks on the spread of the bird flu to examine the risk that migratory birds might pose for the 25-nation bloc.
4. ＊＊＊Vietnam has received a donation of 600,000 tablets(60萬藥片) of the bird flu drug Tamiflu(克流感) from Taiwan and is planning to buy another 70,000 tablets(越南計畫自購7萬片) for its national stockpile(越南全國準備急用或短缺而貯存).
5. Early tests on 1,000 chickens that died in eastern Turkey after being sent from the infected northwestern area did not point to bird flu, a senior veterinarian was quoted as saying.
6. A judge late Thursday free former Costa Rican(哥斯達黎加) President Miguel Angel Rodriguez, who resigned as head of the Organization of American States(美洲國家組織主席) to face corruption charges in his homeland.
7. China’s foreign vice minister Friday urged Japan to clean up(清除) the chemical weapons abandoned by it imperial army(皇軍) in China during World War II, a foreign ministry statement said.
8. China said Tuesday Japan's foreign minister is not welcome in Beijing, after the nation's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi(日本首相小泉純一郎) paid a controversial visit(爭議性參拜) to a Tokyo war shrine(靖國神社).
9. South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon(潘基文) says he has dropped plans for a possible visit to Japan, due to a row about a controversial shrine. The decision comes just a day after the Chinese authorities cancelled a planned meeting of Chinese and Japanese foreign ministers, also apparently in protest.
10. China yesterday postponed a planned visit by the Japanese foreign minister in response to Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's visit to the Yasukuni shrine(參拜靖國神社), a symbol of militarism(軍國主義象徵). Japan's Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura(日本外相町村信孝) was scheduled(原定)to arrive in Beijing on Sunday for a two-day visit.