Sentences Selected from the News
1. The identity or nationalities of the dead was not immediately known. Officials declined to respond to ◆reports that the fire may have been set by one of the prisoners and that the cells (牢房)were unsafe,
2. Health officials yesterday indicated that Taiwan is not affected by avian flu and indicated their plan to lodge a protest against Britain's ◆allegation that the island had exported birds infected with the bird flu virus.
3. Birds flu has killed at least 2,600 birds at a poultry farm in China’s northern region of Inner Mongolia(內蒙) and the outbreak has since been brought under control(遭到控制).
4. China’s legislature(指全國人民代表大會) agreed Saturday to cut income taxes(免除所得稅) on the country’s poorest workers amid official◆concern that the country’s growing gap between rich and poor could fuel unrest.
5. Indonesia confirmed on Tuesday that a fourth person in the country had died of bird flu, while China said hundreds of farm geese had died, the latest outbreak of a disease that seems to defy efforts to halt its spread(阻止擴散).
6. Faced with a succession crisis(繼承危機) in Japan's imperial household(日本皇室), a panel agreed Tuesday to propose allowing females to take the throne(繼承王位) for the first time since the late 18th century.
7. Speaking on a visit to Israel, a spokesman for Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Moscow "opposes sanctions against Syria(制裁叙利亞)". "Russia will be doing everything necessary to prevent attempts to impose sanctions against Syria," he said.
8. A Russian man who was caught trying to bribe a policeman tried to destroy the evidence (消滅證據) by eating the money. But when the officer refused the bribe, thealleged drug-dealer began scoffing(吃光) the notes(紙幣) to destroy evidence of theattempted bribe.
9. Some Iraqis sympathized with(同情) U.S. forces on Wednesday as the American death toll in the Iraq war surpassed(超過) 2,000. But others noted that many more Iraqis had died in the conflict and said they hope the U.S. "occupiers" will soon go home.
10. Several world capitals have condemned Iran's leader for saying Israel should be "wiped off the map(自世界地圖上清除)," and Israel's vice premier has called for Tehran to be expelled(驅逐) from the United Nations.