Sentences Selected from the News
1. Japan has rebuffed(斷然拒絕) Washington’s ＊demands that Tokyo ease its terms for lifting a ban(解除禁令) on U.S. beef imports. imposed two years ago due to fears of mad cow disease.
2. For over 30 years, Lee Seo-knomi, 83, neither moved nor remarried, believing that her husband, lost during the 1950-53 Koran War, would return.
3. Three girls have been beheaded(砍頭) and another badly injured as they walked to a Christian school in Indonesia. They were walking through a cocoa plantation(可可豆種植場) near the city of Poso in central Sulawesi province when they were attacked. This is an area that has a long history of religious violence between Muslims and Christians.
4. The Pentagon has invited UN officials to visit the Guantanamo Bay prison camp(關達那摩灣臨時監獄), more than three years after first receiving the request. Three human right monitors will be allowed to observe the facilities and question(詢問) military officials but will not have access to detainees(接近遭拘留者).
5. Snow is expected in Pakistan’s earthquake zone next week, the meteorological office said on Saturday, as aid agencies struggle to prevent a surge in pneumonia(來勢洶洶肺炎)causing a second wave of deaths.
6. Five US soldiers in Iraq have been charged with abusing detainees(凌虐遭拘留者), the US military has said. The soldiers are accused of punching and kicking detainees who were awaiting transfer to prison on 7 September, the military said in a statement.
7. French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin published a decree(發佈命令) invoking(引用) a 50-year-old law that gives regional government officials the power to impose nightly curfews against the rioters, mainly protesting against unemployment and racism.
8. Chinese police have warned that Islamic extremists could be planning attacks on luxury hotels in China next week, the U.S. embassy in Beijing said Wednesday, 10 days before a visit by U.S. President George W. Bush.
9. At least 57 people have been killed and about 300 injured in explosions at hotels in the Jordanian(約旦的) capital, Amman(安曼). The Grand Hyatt, Radisson and Days Inn hotels were hit in near-simultaneous blasts(幾近同時爆炸). Police suspect suicide bombers.
10. The US and China have signed a deal resolving their long-running trade dispute over Chinese textile exports(紡織品外銷). The US trade representative, Rob Portman, said the agreement was fair to both sides. Chinese Commerce Minister Bo Xilai said China had hoped for more.