Sentences Selected from the News
1. “We don’t know who is right and who is wrong, but the fact remains that hundreds of people today attacked two churches and burned them, he said.
2. The highlight of the religious activities is releasing of floating lanterns(放天燈) into the night sky with the belief that misfortune will float away with the lanterns(名詞子句，作belief 的同位語).
3. France’s worst civil unrest in decades abated(減緩) a day after the government toughened its stance by imposing emergency measures and ordering deportation(驅逐出境) of foreigners convicted of taking part in the riots.
4. A teen accused of killing his girlfriend’s parents agreed to be returned to his home state(居住的州) Tuesday, a day after he and his 14-year-old girlfriend were arrested in Indiana after a police chase(警察追逐) that ended in a crash.
5. A White House document shows oil executives met with Vice President Dick Cheney’s 2001 energy task force(能源專案小組) which critics say secretly formed energy policy favorable to the industry, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.
6. The United Nations and British military launched an airlift(空投) on Wednesday to move hundreds of tons of food and shelter(避難衣物) to earthquake survivors high in Pakistan’s mountains to ensure they survive the winter.
7. Australia’s most populous state unveiled(透露) A$5.6 million(US$ 4 million) bird flu plan on Wednesday that would use schools, sports fields and community halls to isolate the infected (名詞子句，作plan 的同位語)should a human pandemic occur.
8. Four Australian-Iraqi(澳洲籍伊拉克人) women have been detained at Damascus airport for allegedly trying to take gun parts(槍枝零件)hidden in a child's toy onto a plane bound for Australia, officials said.
9. China announced its first human cases of bird flu, saying the H5N1 virus had killed one woman, likely claimed the life of another girl and infected one boy who has since recovered.
10. The European Parliament(歐洲議會) has voted to put together a blacklist of airlines that fail to meet safety requirements. Under the plans, which still need the approval of European Union transport ministers, firms on the list would not be allowed to operate at EU airports(歐盟各國機場).