Sentences Selected from the News
1. All defendants(被告) have pleaded not guilty. They could face death by hanging if convicted (省略子句，if 後省略了they are).
2. Hundred of domestic helpers(幫傭) from the Philippines, Indonesia and Nepal working in Hong Kong protested Sunday against the World Trade Organization.
3. He warned that Jordan’s “higher interests” are a red line, which no one will be allowed to trespass(侵犯；跨越).”
4. China reported two new outbreaks of bird flu in poultry on Tuesday as three of Australia's largest cities conducted exercises to test the government's response to an outbreak of the disease.
5. After months of insisting he had done nothing wrong, a Republican congressman(美國共和黨眾議員) tearfully acknowledged taking US$2.4 million (euro2 million) in bribes(收賄) and resigned his office(辭職).
6. President George W. Bush, facing growing doubts about his war strategy, said Wednesday that Iraqi troops are increasingly taking the lead in battle but that "this will take time and patience." He refused to set a timetable for withdrawing U.S. forces.
7. Indonesian tests confirmed that a 25-year-woman who died overnight in the capital had bird flu, officials said Wednesday, as they investigated the ◆possibility that several members of one family were infected by the virus.
8. Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi warned neighboring countries Wednesday not to use his visits to a war shrine as a "diplomatic card" (外交牌)as China and South Korea signaled they would snub(冷淡對待) him at an upcoming Asian summit.
9. President Chen(陳總统), who cast a death curse on Mayor of Taichung Jason Hu(詛咒台中市長胡志强死亡) Sunday, on a second thought(on second thought or on second thoughts再思之後) extended good wishes to the mayor Tuesday. "I wish him to live until 100 but take precautions lest he should have a stroke(小心別中風)." he said.
10. The U.S. military offered a mixed message Wednesday about whether it embraced one of its own programs that reportedly paid a consulting firm(顧問公司) and Iraqi newspapers to plant favorable stories about the war and the rebuilding effort(對伊拉克戰爭及重建作植入性行銷).