April 21, 2000
諺語是我們耳熟能詳的語句。有些諺語直接說明一件事實或者真理，例如Honesty is the best policy,「誠實為上策」。大多數的諺語都是利用一種特殊的情況來顯示一個普通的真相。 例如：Too many cooks spoil the broth「人多手雜」，及A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,「一鳥在手勝過兩鳥在林(知福惜福)」。諺語是世界文化中非常古老的一部份，每一種語言中都有諺語。雖然各國語言不同，但是人類思維卻有相似之處，同樣的諺語可能出現在幾種不同的語言之中，只是表達方式不同而己，例如：英文諺語”There is no smoke without fire.”(無火不生煙)，中文諺語則是「無風不起浪」。
諺語譯法：1. 言簡意賅 2. 意譯為主 3. 使用對仗 4. 使用相當或相等之中文(成語)諺語。
Translate the following proverbs into Chinese(試譯下列各諺語):
1. All good things come to an end.
2. Give a dog a bad name and hang him.
3. Give knaves an inch and they will take a yard
4. He that commits a fault thinks everyone speaks of it.
5. He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount.
6. Help a lame dog over a stile.
7. Hoist your sail when the wind is fair.
8. If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
9. It is good fishing in troubled waters.
10. It takes all sorts to make a world.
11. The leopard cannot change his spots.
12. Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
13. There are as good fish in the sea as ever came out of it.
14. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
15. Heaven helps those who help themselves.
16. Misfortune never comes singly.
17. Nothing is difficult to a man who wills.
18. Little strokes fell great oaks.
19. Every dog has his day.
20. Constant dripping wears away the stone.
21. Nothing is as good as it seems beforehand
22. All lay loads on a willing horse.
23. Better be the head of a dog than the tail of a lion.
24. Example is better than precept.
25. Customs make things easy.