June 3, 2003
1. remember + v + ing = remember what one has done or what has happened.
remember + to + v = remember what one has to do.
+ v + ing = use something, do something, as an experiment or test, to see
whether it is satisfactory.
3. It is not good / It is no use + v + ing
4. one devotes one’s time to / one is devoted to + v + ing (or noun)
5. Never (have I) or other negative words to begin a sentence, use inverted sentence order.
6. If + subj. + had + p.p., subj. + would/ could/ might/ should + have + p.p.
9. We notified 116 people. Only 56 of them have registered so far. We notified 28 people, of whom only 7 have registered so far.
10. what = the thing(s) which …
11. spend + in + v + ing / spend + v + ing
question: What was his
13. used to + v; be used to + v + ing
is the most diligent of all the boys I know. (unemphatic)
15. instead of + n/ pron.; instead of + v + ing
16. since (indicating time) followed by perfect tense.
17. on a certain day
18. despite (in spite of) + noun
19. see 13
20. consider + v + ing (Memorize those verbs and phrases followed by gerund.)
22. I saw the man (who was) knocked down by a speeding car.
asked that + subj. + verb (present tense)
find someone coming (indicating complete or incomplete action)
26. “We are going to talk about the problem (which was) discussed at the last meeting
27. make/ have followed by infinitive without “to”
+ v + ing = to stop the action of what one is doing
29. see 6
30. whomever = the man whom.
31. She is satisfied with it. She seems satisfied with it.
32. future perfect tense
have not been smoking for two months.
34. lead to + v + ing (“To” in this sentence is a preposition.)
give me some money and I
will. (main clause + and + main clause)
36. Had you asked me = If you had asked me/ see 6
42. worth + v + ing
43. see 5
44. I’m a student, and so is my roommate. I will go, and so will my roommate.
45. taste/ smell/ feel + adj.
46. no plural forms for furniture, advice, news, chalk, information, etc.
49. That was the girl that/ who lives in the dormitory next to the dining hall.
50. whoever = the man who (Compare with 30)